UNITED KINGDOM – GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) has announced that Haleon will be the name of the new company formed by GSK’s proposed demerger of Consumer Healthcare in mid-2022.

Haleon (pronounced “Hay-Lee-On”) was inspired by the combination of the words “Hale,” an old English word that means “in good health,” and “Leon,” which is associated with the word “strength.”

The new brand identity was created with the help of employees, healthcare professionals, and consumers, and it will be used in more than 100 markets around the world where the company operates.

Haleon is the result of a series of successful investments and strategic changes to GSK’s consumer health business over the last eight years, including the integration of Novartis and Pfizer consumer product portfolios.

It is now a highly valuable and focused global company with annual sales of around £10 billion (US13.6 billion).

The UK drugmaker, which recently rejected Unilever’s bid for the consumer business for £50 billion (US$68 billion), has stated that under the separation plan, shareholders would receive stock in the new consumer health group equal to at least 80% of the 68%stake GlaxoSmithKline currently owns in it. Pfizer owns the remaining 32% of the company.

Haleon’s headquarters will be in Weybridge, UK, with the new campus set to open at the end of 2024.

As a stand-alone company, Haleon will be a new world leader in consumer healthcare, with a compelling proposition – to combine deep human understanding with trusted science – to deliver better everyday health with humanity.

Brian McNamara, who will lead Haleon, said the “name is grounded in our purpose to deliver better everyday health with humanity and to be a world-leader in consumer healthcare.” He reiterated that the new company’s launch is on track for mid-2022.

The name was announced ahead of GSK hosting a Consumer Healthcare Capital Markets Day for investors and analysts set for February 28, when GlaxoSmithKline plans to detail growth ambitions for the spinoff.

Leading global brands retained

Sensodyne, Voltaren, Panadol, and Centrum will be part of Haleon’s world-class portfolio of category-leading global brands.

Its brands are trusted by healthcare professionals, customers, and people all over the world to improve people’s health and well-being.

The £150 billion (US$204 billion) consumer healthcare sector is experiencing strong demand, owing to an increased emphasis on health and wellness, significant demand from an aging population and emerging middle-class, and unmet consumer needs.

As a result, the company is well-positioned to make a positive impact on human health and to grow ahead of the market in the coming years.

The new name was announced as part of a global celebration for all GSK Consumer Healthcare employees.

Employees from all over the world were given the opportunity to interact with the new name and brand identity, which aims to bring the company’s purpose and growth ambitions to life.

Haleon will provide prospective investors with appealing organic sales growth, operating margin expansion, and consistent high cash generation.

Liked this article? Sign up to receive our regular email newsletters, focused on Africa and World’s healthcare industry, directly into your inbox. SUBSCRIBE HERE